All Are Welcome!
What People Are Saying About
Our Classes and Programs
As far as feedback on the Posture Perfect!TM class goes, it has not only met my expectations, but exceeded them! There are several reasons I enjoy the class...
|10 Cholesterol Lowering Tips |
- Eat less saturated fat, which is found predominantly in animal products such as red meat, butter, cream and in tropical oils. Your liver uses saturated fat to make LDL cholesterol.Eat less trans fatty acids, found in most fried foods and processed foods such as cakes, cookies and snack foods. If the label says "hydrogenated" or "partially hydrogenated," avoid it.
- Eat fewer simple carbohydrates such as sugar, white flour, white rice, and high-fructose corn syrup, which can markedly increase your triglycerides.
- Eat more unrefined, complex carbohydrates such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes and soy products.
- Exercise, which can lower your "bad" LDL cholesterol as well as raise your "good" HDL cholesterol.
- Meditate, or practice yoga or tai chi. Stress can raise your cholesterol level independent of diet, whereas stress-management techniques may help lower it.
- Lose weight, which will also help lower your cholesterol level as well as your blood sugar level.
- Take 3 grams per day of fish oil, which provides omega‑3 fatty acids--preferably brands in which the bad stuff (mercury, PCBs, dioxin, etc.) have been removed. Besides their other significant health benefits, such as reducing your risk of sudden cardiac death by up to 80 percent, the omega‑3 fatty acids significantly lower your triglycerides and reduce inflammation.
- Add soluble fiber to your diet, which binds cholesterol in the intestinal tract and increases its elimination from the body, thereby reducing your LDL cholesterol. Food sources of soluble fiber include oat bran, flax seeds, citrus fruits such as oranges and apples and vegetables like carrots, barley, beans, peas and psyllium husk.
- Take red rice yeast extract. It contains the same ingredient found in statin drugs. Some experts believe that red-rice yeast extract has fewer side effects than statin drugs due to other substances present in the yeast, but this is controversial. It's best to take this under a doctor's supervision given the potential side effects.
- Niacin is a B-vitamin that is often given at much higher doses to effectively lower cholesterol. At these doses, niacin should be considered a cholesterol-lowering drug, even though it is available over the counter. It is best taken under a doctor's supervision, as niacin may cause flushing and even liver toxicity in some patients.
Fresh Start is a superior alternative to reducing cholesterol without harmful drug therapy. You can safely lower your cholesterol 10 to 20% without the harmful side effects associated with prescription drugs. Offering a complete approach, Fresh Start introduces dietary changes, incorporates stress reduction activities and begins a moderate exercise program integrating all these activities into a Fun and easy to follow cholesterol reduction program. Fresh Start gives you all the tools necessary for increasing strength, vitality and good health.
Contact Woody McMahon at 703-628-2880 or email
Woody@SequoiaHealth.com to learn more about giving yourself a Fresh Start or to schedule your free in-person or telephone consultation.
A mindful and holistic approach to Fall Prevention, Balance, Full Body Functional Strengthening and Posture Exercises for All Ages! Our Science-Based Exercises are Safe and Appropriate for Your Ability. Our Exercises Help Improve Osteoporosis, Osteopenia, Fear of Falling, Balance and Strength Problems. Reston, Great Falls, Herndon, Middleburg, Arlington Sterling and Northern Virginia.
483A Carlisle Drive
Herndon, VA 20170
300 West Washington Street
Middleburg, VA 20118